1. Tylenol and chocolate are both poisonous to cats.*
2. The ancestor of all domestic cats is the African Wild Cat which still exists today.*
3. In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was a crime punishable by death.
4. In ancient Egypt, mummies were made of cats, and embalmed mice were placed with them in their tombs. In one ancient city, over 300,000 cat mummies were found.
5. In the Middle Ages, during the Festival of Saint John, cats were burned alive in town squares.
6. The first cat show was in 1871 at the Crystal Palace in London.
7. Today there are about 100 distinct breeds of the domestic cat.
8. Genetic mutation created the domestic cat which is tame from birth.
9. Like birds, cats have a homing ability that uses its biological clock, the angle of the sun, and the Earth’s magnetic field. A cat taken far from its home can return to it. But if a cat’s owners move far from its home, the cat can’t find them.
10. Hunting is not instinctive for cats. Kittens born to non-hunting mothers may never learn to hunt.
11. Cats bury their feces to cover their trails from predators.
12. Mother cats teach their kittens to use the litter box.
13. Among other tasks, cats can be taught to use a toilet, come, sit, beg, eat with their paws, heel, jump through a hoop, play a piano, play dead, roll over, open a door, hide food in boxes, shake, and fetch.
14. Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day. When cats are asleep, they are still alert to incoming stimuli. If you poke the tail of a sleeping cat, it will respond accordingly.
15. In Great Britain, black cats are thought to bring good luck.
16. Besides smelling with their nose, cats can smell with an additional organ called the Jacobson’s organ, located in the upper surface of the mouth.
17. Cats can’t taste sweets.
18. The chlorine in fresh tap water irritates sensitive parts of the cat’s nose. Let tap water sit for 24 hours before giving it to a cat.
19. The average cat food meal is the equivalent to about five mice.
20.The catgut formerly used as strings in tennis rackets and musical instruments does not come from cats. Catgut actually comes from sheep, hogs, and horses.
21. A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye. White cats with orange eyes do not have this disability.
22.Neutering a cat extends its life span by two or three years.
23.Pregnant women are advised not to come in contact with cat feces, because it can contain an organism which can affect the unborn child and even cause miscarriage.
24.Ten human years translate to about 56 cat years. A one year old cat is similar in age to an 15 year old human.